Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Earth Gay 2012
Sunday, April 22, 2012 from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PDT)
Mission: Earth Gay is an annual day of service projects showcasing the LGBTQ community’s leadership in environmental stewardship.
Description: Earth Gay is the LGBTQ community’s most visible expression of environmental activism. A coordinated day of service projects, Earth Gay fosters community for people of all orientations by tangibly making an impact in our cities and neighborhoods. The annual event by OUT for Sustainability was first held in Seattle in 2009 and is now spreading to other cities around the country, providing ever-greater visibility to the leadership of the LGBTQ community in our environment. Earth Gay was first organized to celebrate Earth Day, the global movement started in 1961 to combine efforts on a day in late April to care for our shared planet.
Earth Gay 2012 in Seattle: This year we are focused on restoring the NW corner of Lake Union into a vibrant walking destination and bike trail. A range of tasks for a range of interests will go on through the day, all in a fun environment as we make a difference in our city as an LGBTQ and Ally community. Depending on resource availability, activities may include:
- Removing invasive plants like ivy.
- Laying down mulch
- Planting wildflower seeds and native plants
- Trash pick-up
- Improving public access to water
- Painting signage for the trail
- Assembling plant starts
- Building birdhouses
- And educational activities
April 22nd, 2012 Schedule:
- 9:30-10am: Set up, registration and Coffee/Pastries
- 10-Noon: Work Group 1 (Max 100 people)
- Noon-12:30: Break, work group transition, and food.
- 12:30-2:30pm: Work Group 2 (Max 100 people)
- 2:30-3pm: Break, work group transition, and food.
- 3-5pm: Work Group 3 (Max 100 people)
- 5-5:30pm: Clean up and food.
When & Where
OUT for Sustainability
OUT for Sustainability engages and mobilizes the LGBTQ community to advance social and environmental sustainability.